Two Dead, 22 Injured Following Boston Marathon Blasts

At least two people have been killed and 22 others injured after two explosions ripped through central Boston as the city’s marathon came to a halt.

There was also a third blast at the JFK library about five miles away.

The blasts at the marathon, in which fifty Irish residents participated in, took place about three hours after the winners crossed the line, with one explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the finish line.

A further 108 runners who claimed to have Irish citizenship where present a few seconds later, when another blast went off about 50-100 metres further down the street.

It is not known at this time whether any Irish competitors were hurt.

Some runners were making their way across the finish line as the drama unfolded, with TV footage shown the carnage in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay, bringing back dark days to American society.

It is not known what caused the blasts but many are pointing towards a terrorist attack.

There are also further reports that police have discovered several unexploded devices in the area.

The Federal Aviation Administration has warned pilots it has created a no-fly zone over the site.

Runners and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos, with many left limbless. Smoke rose from the explosions, through flags lining the route of the world’s oldest and most prestigious marathon.

British police are now reviewing security plans for Sunday’s London Marathon after the US blasts.

Police made their way through competitors as they ran towards the scene, and injured spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for tired runners.

A Boston police officer was taken from the course with a bleeding leg injury.

The White House said President Barack Obama has been notified about the explosions and America has been placed on high alert with New York stepping up security measures in light of the attack .

The administration said it is in contact with state and local authorities and the president has vowed to provide whatever assistance is necessary in the investigation and response.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has said the Irish Consulate in Boston is in touch with the city’s authorities with a view to establishing whether any Irish people have been injured in today’s explosion at the Boston marathon.

According to the official Boston Marathon website, 50 competitors have listed Ireland as their country of residence, and 108 have listed Ireland as their country of citizenship.

The Department is advising anyone who is concerned to contact them on 01 478 0822.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: