All Ireland SFC: Dublin Prevail Over Meath To Claim Leinster Title

Tyrone v Dublin - GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-FinalLeinster Senior Football Final

Dublin 2-15 Meath 0-14

Dublin’s two goals were crucial to their victory over their near neighbours. Meath started the game brightest and were in front for a while, until Paul Flynn scored Dublin opening goal which kickstarted the contest. The two teams were evenly matched for the remainder of the half with the Royal County leading by two points at half time. Both teams had different spells where they dominated in the first half with Dublin dominating for about 15 minutes or so after their goal however Meath revived themselves to lead at half time.  Dublin were beginning to make chances in the second half and a goal by Paul Mannion put Dublin six points in front. They didn’t look like losing the game after this and ran out winners by 2-15 to 0-14. This was Dublin’s first challenge in the championship and they responded well in the second half, despite being behind at half time. Meath will be disappointed as they were well prepared and gave a good display especially in the first half. Dublin claim the Leinster title and now a safe passage to the All-Ireland Quarter-Finals.

Armagh 8-13 Leitrim 0-10

Armagh overcame the challenge of Leitrim scoring eight goals in the game. Armagh were comfortable winners on a score of 8-13 to 0-10. Armagh were in excellent form and led by 4-8 to 0-4 at half time. Their goals in the first half came from Eugene McVerry who scored two and one each from Tony Kernan and Kevin Dyas. The second half was going to be a similar story for the Leitrim men as they conceded four goals in this half. Eugene McVerry got his hat trick which was soon followed by further goals from Kevin Shields and a brace from Clarke to secure Armagh’s path to round 3.

Longford 0-16 Wexford 2-15

The game was tied level after 70 minutes and went in to extra time with Wexford coming out on top after 90 minutes of football. Longford were quite dominant in the first half and established a three to four point lead at most stages. Wexford looked like they were dominating around the middle of the pitch but Longford went in at the interval 0-8 to 0-4 up. A goal by PJ Banville rejuvenated Wexford’s comeback as the game was now in the melting pot. Longford regained their composure and took the lead again after the Wexford goal. Daithi Waters scored Wexford’s Second goal and this game was looking to be a draw at the finish. Paul Barden had an opportunity in the dying moments to win the game for Longford but failed to convert his chance. The game then went into extra time, with Wexford coming out victorios outscoring Longford by five points at the end. Longford only managed to score two points in extra time while the model men scored seven points. Wexford march on and can count themselves quite lucky with their result.

Kildare 1-19 Louth 0-15

Kildare’s strong comeback shows that they still have qualities that should not be ignored.  Kildare quickly took a three point lead early on, but Louth came more into this game and reduced the gap to leave the scores 0-5 to 0-4 in favour of the Lilywhites. Louth continued the good play and went in front to lead by 0-10 to 0-8 at the break. Kildare responded better in the second half and went on to win comfortably at the finish. A goal by Tomas O’Connor sealed Kildare’s victory over the Wee County. Kildare need to play better over 70 minutes as big teams will take them apart.

Cavan 1-14 Fermanagh 0-10

Cavan have defeated Fermanagh for the final time this year after previously playing each other in the Ulster Championship. Cavan progressed to round 3 with a comprehensive victory over the Ulster rivals. Cavan started the game brightly, taking an early lead. A goal by Martin Dunne in the first half saw Cavan pull ahead as Fermanagh were slow starting off in this game. The game turned quite defensive towards the remainder of the first half with slow movement and passing this game was beginning to turn ugly. Things got tense and frustrating after the half time whistle and there was some real tension between the teams. Cavan led by 1-7 to 0-5 at the break. The referee sent off Sean Quigley of Fermanagh before the second half began due to a challenge on Cian Mackey of Cavan. A Cavan selector and a member of Fermanagh’s backroom staff were also sent to the stand. Cavan and Fermanagh both lost players towards the end of this game due to red cards. Cavan progress to next round as winners on a score of 1-14 to 0-10. This game will be remembered more about the brawls and red cards rather than the score line. Cavan continue their good run in the championship and are now in round 3.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: