GAA: Dublin And Monaghan Secure League Glory


Allianz National Football League Division 1 Final

Dublin 3-19 Derry 1-10

Dublin blitz Derry aside with second half goals from Kevin McManamon, Diarmuid Connolly and Bernard Brogan.

The first half started at a slow pace although Derry surprised most with an early goal when Cailean O’Boyle was setup for a tidy finish to the Dublin net. Despite this Dublin got several free flowing points to completely pull away from the oakleafers as Derry remained scoreless for a long period in the first half.  Dublin seemed to step off the pace a little towards the end of the half as they found it difficult to break down Derry’s defence and had to go laterally across the pitch to make some headway going forward. It took Derry a long time to settle down, but they did show they possessed as much of a goal threat as the Dubs.

Derry started the second half well but were quickly undone by a superb goal from from Brogan, who prevented the oakleafers from building any momentum in this game. Brogan’s goal was a  sign of things to come as the men from the capital ran riot, with goals from McManamon and Connolly ensuring success. Dublin cruised to the Division 1 title in the end and they can now enjoy a few weeks break before the championship starts.

Allianz National Football league Division 2 Final

Monaghan 1-16  Donegal 1-10

This was a repeat of last year’s Ulster final as Donegal sought revenge but fell short against a Monaghan side who possessed that extra gear that carried them over the line.

Donegal’s defence marshalled the farney men tightly in the opening stages of this encounter. Monaghan did seem to be growing in confidence as the game progressed and seemed to be creating a lot of chances when they decided to leave the ball in long to their forwards. They got a better return from it and with some excellently pointed scores they started to pull away from the Donegal men. Donegal seemed very reliant on frees in the first half, which was the only thing keeping them in this game. The farney men were more threatening and had missed some good opportunities on goal. Monaghan remained in front by 3 points at the break and never looked like relinquishing control of the game.

The second half started with a lot of physicality by both sides as scuffles broke out. Rory Kavanagh was rightly sent off for striking Darren Hughes, there is no place for this type of conduct in our sports. Monaghan’s defence was relatively solid in the second half as the game grew into a dull encounter. The lull in play was snapped shortly after as Donegal’s Ryan McHugh was hauled down as he was bearing down on goal, with Michael Murphy converting the resulting spot kick to get Donegal back into the game. Their revival was short lived however as Monaghan soon restored their lead when they created a simple overlap which resulted in Kieran Hughes palming the ball in to the Donegal net and ensuring further success for the farney men.

Read a full review of how the Division 3 and Division 4 finals finished here.

Image courtesy of


  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: