GAA: Donegal And Tyrone Advance In Ulster Championship


Ulster Senior Football Championship

Down 0-12 Tyrone 3-11

Tyrone cruised past Down in this weekend’s replay at Pairc Esler. Down have failed to be as consistent as the Ulster rivals from the red hand county and have failed to get passed them on numerous occasions. This particular occasion further cementing the dominance of Mickey Harte’s charges. Down started the game well and were awarded a penalty in the first minute when Conor Maginn was brought down in the box by Justin McMahon. Aidan Carr stepped up to take the penalty for the mourne men, which was saved by Tyrone Goalkeeper Niall Morgan. Tyrone took some encouragement from Morgan’s save and raised their game with them pressing ahead after this and building a lead, with points coming mostly from Ronan O’Neill. Ciaran McGinley got the opening goal of the game as Tyrone really expressed their dominance in the first half and led by 1-6 to 0-7 at the break.

Tyrone really put the game out of sight when McGinley again caused serious problems for the mourne men as he struck Tyrone’s second goal of them game. Down’s defence seemed all over the place and failed to cope with the Tyrone work ethic as ill discipline proved problematic yet again. Tyrone were awarded a penalty when Ronan McCabb was fouled, Peter Harte made no mistake with the penalty as Tyrone advanced to face Monaghan in the next round of the Ulster Championship. Monaghabn will be out for revenge for their exit from the championship last year at the hands of Tyrone.

Derry 0-11 Donegal 1-10

Derry came into this game with exceptional league form but that hasn’t transpired into the championship thus far as Donegal got the better of them, condemning them to the All-Ireland qualifiers. The oakleafers have a strong midfield and half forward line but need to focus on building form to have a successful championship. The game started slowly with both defences on top. Derry managed to convert their chances better with some long range points, including a brilliant attempt from Niall Holly. Derry pulled ahead mid way through the half and led by 0-6 points to 0-4 at the break.

Donegal were not going to lie down as their first half performance didn’t live up to their expectations. A superb start to the second half saw the Donegal men hitting a massive 1-4 in the opening stages, which really rocked the oakleafers to the core, this was the crucial time when the game started swinging in favour of the 2012 All-Ireland Champions. Donegal’s fierce work ethic was enough for them to hold onto their lead once they had got in front. Donegal will need to come out and play for 70 minutes in order to kill off their opponents as the championship progresses, otherwise they face a long wait to bring Sam back to the hills.

Connacht Senior Football Championship

London 0-7 Galway 3-17

A Galway side in transition stormed past London in Ruislip this weekend.

London have improved immensely in the past few seasons but were simply blown away by their Connacht rivals.

Galway overwhelmed the exiles as goals from Shane Walsh, Michael Martin and Danny Cummins proved crucial. Walsh finished with an overall tally of 1-6 for his side as London could not deal with the forward play from the tribesmen. Galway advance in the Connacht Championship as London will now head for the qualifiers.

Image courtesy of

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: