Hibs Relegated After Hamilton Defeat

hibs badge

Hibs have been relegated from the SPFL after losing a penalty shoot out to Hamilton in front of a packed Easter Road stadium today.

Terry Butcher’s side went into the game with a 2-0 lead from the first leg and the manager made one change to the starting line up with Danny Haynes replacing Alex Harris.

Hibs suffered and early blow when Haynes took a heavy knock on his ankle and Harris took over.

Hamilton grabbed the lead in the 11th minute following a poor clearance from Ryan McGivern and Jason Scotland turned Michael Nelson and hammered the ball into the far corner of the net to the delight of the travelling support.

Hibs almost responded immediately when Jason Cummings released Paul Heffernan who rounded Kevin Cuthbert but the linesman’s flag was raised.

Scott Robertson tested Cuthbert with a well struck shot, but Hamilton looked dangerous on the break and Hibs had Ben Williams to thank in the 21st  minute when he blocked from Louis Longridge.

Hibs almost grabbed an equaliser just before half time when Liam Craig’s corner kick found Cummings at the back post, but his goal bound header was hooked it clear from the line.

Accies’ started the second half strongly and Williams once again did well to prevent Scotland doubling their lead.

Midweek hero Jason Cummings almost scored following a Lewis Stevenson cross then substitute Mickael Antoine-Curier saw his effort deflected over by McGivern as Hibs held on to their aggregate lead.

There was some confusion when the announcer reported four minutes of added time as the Easter Road scoreboard clock had stopped on 86 minutes, then with seconds remaining, Andreu swept in Scotland’s cutback from close range to send the game to extra-time.

Neither side went close in the additional 30 minutes and the game was decided on penalties.

Kevin Thomson took the first and his effort was saved by Cuthbert. The Hamilton players all scored, as did Ryan McGivern, Liam Craig and Owain Tudur Jones. With the score standing at 4-3 to the visitors, Jason Cummings needed to score to keep Hibs hopes alive but the youngster’s effort was well saved and Hamilton celebrated their promotion with their fans in the south stand.

After the game around 500 Hibs supporters vented their anger at Terry Butcher and Chairman Rod Petrie outside the West Stand.

Hibernian: Williams, McGivern, Nelson, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Maybury, Heffernan (Tudur Jones 82′), Stanton, Haynes (Harris 7′, Thomson 64′)), Cummings. Substitutes not used: Murdoch, Cairney, Collins, Forster.

Hamilton Academical: Cuthbert, Gordon, Canning, Gillespie, Routledge (Ryan 81′), Crawford (Neil 81′), Longridge (Antoine-Curier 67′), MacKinnon, Andreu, Garcia, Scotland. Substitutes not used: Currie, Devlin, Keatings, Kilday.

Referee: William Collum.

Attendance: 18,031

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: