Leinster GAA: Dublin, Kildare And Wexford Advance


Leinster Senior Football Championship

Dublin 2-21 Laois 0-16

Laois were the visitors to Croke Park this past weekend and certainly rattled Dublin feathers with a strong first half performance before the reigning All Ireland champions mounted a game winning comeback.

Laois controlled the first half with Ross Munnelly and Donie Kingston in excellent form while goalkeeper Graham Brody kept Jim Gavin’s side at bay.  Their cause was further boosted when Bernard Brogan left the play with an injury. Laois proved consistent with their point taking and would head in to half time two points clear of their opponents, thanks in large part to Brody, the post and the crossbar.

A different Dublin side emerged for the second half. Gone was the lacklustre display and with it came an increased tempo as the boys in blue etched into the Laois lead. Laois legs tired and with that their defending and concentration began to falter, allowing Diarmuid Connolly and Michael Dara MacAuley the opportunity to bag the goals which killed the tie.

Longford 1-13 Wexford 1-15

Wexford advanced to the Leinster semi finals following a two point victory over Longford.

The game burst into life when Ciaran Lyng put the visitors ahead. Longford had to battle hard to remain in touch with their opponents but that they did, managing to cut the deficit to four points heading into the break.

Wexford picked up where they left off in the second half but found their lead cut short when a goal from Francis McGee brought Longford back into this game. A revitalised Longford soon took over and it seemed as though they would hold on to prevail. It wasn’t to be however as the Wexford forwards stepped up a gear when they needed it most to ensure they advanced. Wexford march on but have a lot of work to do before their next game.

Kildare 1-22 Louth 1-7

Kildare dominated Louth at Croke Park to advance to the semi finals

Kildare made the best possible start as Cathal McNally foundthe back of the net early on. Kildare continued to press home their advantage and were utterly dominant, building up a massive half time lead of 1-13 to 0-5. Louth had a mountain to climb in terms of turning this game around. The second half was not much different than the first as Kildare remained in charge, despite the best efforts of their oppponents. Kildare were the dominant side in this game despite Louth getting a mere consolation goal from Shane Lennon to put some respectability on the scoreboard.

Image courtesy of GAA.ie

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: