Magnificent Hibs Thrash Rangers 4-0


Hibs moved to within four points of Rangers with a sensational four-nil victory over the Glasgow giants at Easter Road this afternoon.

The scoreline was Hibs’ biggest winning margin over Rangers for over seventy three years, and the first time they have managed to score four in over fifty years.

Head Coach Alan Stubbs selected his usual starting XI with David Gray playing with a niggling groin injury which will soon require an operation.

The gamble paid off within seven minutes when Liam Craig sent a cross into the Rangers’ box and the ball fell to Gray just outside the area. With fans expecting a first time effort, the former Manchester United defender calmly took a touch before unleashing a superb strike which flew into the top right hand corner of the net.

Four minutes later, three sides of Easter Road erupted when Jason Cummings doubled Hibs’ advantage after Craig got onto the end of a Scott Allan cross and managed to hook the ball into the path of the teenager who slotted the ball home from two yards.

Gray then sent a dangerous cross along the face of the Rangers goal but no-one was available to tap the ball home then the Rangers’ keeper fumbled a Cummings’ drive only for Scott Robertson to fire the loose ball inches wide of the far post.

Former Hearts’ midfielder Ian Black was lucky to escape a red card for a nasty challenge on Allan before new Rangers boss Kenny McDowall replaced him with Kyle Hutton on 34 minutes to ensure that his infamous temper did not see his team reduced to 10 men.

Rangers started the second half brightly with Kris Boyd coming on at half time however he was lucky that the referee did not punish his elbow into the face of Craig or his reckless challenge on Danny Handling.

Hibs put the game beyond doubt on 62 minutes when man of the match Allan played Robertson through, with the latter calmly curling the ball beyond Simonsen into the net.

Nicky Law almost pulled one back when his shot beat Mark Oxley but Liam Fontaine cleared the ball off the line.

Lewis Stevenson then did well to cut the ball back to Handling who was unmarked eight yards from goal but his strike flew narrowly past the post.

A few minutes later Allan cut through the Rangers midfield before finding Craig with a delecate chip and the captain celebrated his 28th birthday with a stunning volley.

Hibernian: Oxley, Gray (Booth 73’), Hanlon, Fontaine, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Handling (Kennedy 86’), Allan, Malonga, Cummings (Stanton 86‘). Substitutes not used: Perntreou, Harris, Heffernan, Sinclair.

Rangers: Simonsen, Smith, Aird (Boyd 46’), Wallace, McCulloch, Law, Black (Hutton 34’), Clark, Miller (Shiels 82’), Foster, McGregor. Substitutes not used: Robinson, Mohsni, Daly, Faure.

Referee: Bobby Madden.

Attendance: 15,261.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: