Honours Even In Hard Fought Edinburgh Derby


Hibs and Hearts shared the points this afternoon in a hard fought yet entertaining Edinburgh Derby in front of a full house at Tynecastle.

Jason Cummings (pictured) opened the scoring only for Jamie Walker to grab an equaliser just before half time.

Head Coach Alan Stubbs kept faith with the same starting XI that hammered Rangers 4-0 last Saturday.

New on-loan signing Martin Boyle was on the bench alongside Dylan McGeouch who returned to the squad following a period on the sidelines due to injury.

A bad mistake by Hearts’ defender Alim Ozturk, who scored a 35 yard screamer in the last Edinburgh Derby allowed Cummings a clean shot on goal but Neil Alexander did well to save his effort.

Hibs dominated possession in the early stages without causing too many problems as the over fussy referee seemed to penalise every challenge.

Hibs eventually took a deserved lead midway through the first half when Scott Allan’s inch perfect cross was met by Cummings who calmly slotted the ball home despite the attention of Ozturk.

The youngster was then booked for his celebration in front of the Gorgie Road end.

The teenager who had been on Hearts’ books as a youngster almost added a second with a header from a Lewis Sevenson cross but his effort flew inches past the post with Alexander helpless.

Hearts equalised shortly before the break when Walker cut in from the left before sending a powerful drive past Mark Oxley into the corner of the net.

Callum Booth replaced David Gray at half time and Hearts started the second half strongly.

Callum Paterson and Sam Ncholson both went close from headers but it was Hibs who ended the game looking the team more likely to score,

With five minutes remaining Booth’s low cross was met by Boyle but a superb last ditch tackle from Ozturk prevented the striker from writing his name in the history books and the ball was cleared.

The result leaves Hibs 19 points behind Hearts in the title race.

Heart of Midlothian: Alexander, Paterson, Wilson, Ozturk, Gomis, Walker (King 73′), Nicholson, Pallardo, Buaben (Robinson 89′), Keatings (Oliver 92′), Eckersley. Substitutes not used: Gallagher, Holt, McKay, McGhee.

Hibernian: Oxley, Gray (Booth 46′), Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson, Craig, Handling (McGeouch 67′), Allan, Malonga, Cummings (Boyle 84′). Substitutes not used: Perntreou, Heffernan, Kennedy.

Referee: Steven McLean.

Attendance: 17,279

Photo by John Preece

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: