Hibs Come From Behind To Reach Scottish Cup Quarter Finals

Hibs came from behind to secure a place in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup after a hard fought game against Arbroath at Easter Road this afternoon.
No Hibs’ (or Hearts) fan needs reminding that it’s now been 113 years since the Scottish Cup was last in the Easter Road boardroom, but with several SPFL teams already out, there is a quiet optimism within the club.

Lewis Stevenson celebrated his 250th appearance for the club and if media reports are to be believed, the popular left back has been offered a new contract.
Dominique Malonga returned  this week from international duty at the African Cup of Nations however the striker missed the game due to suspension having been sent off against Alloa Athletic in the previous round.
Head Coach Alan Stubbs was forced to make a number of chances to the starting XI that drew with Raith Rovers last weekend with full back Keith Watson and striker Martin Boye both ‘cup tied.’
David Gray returned to the first team after recovering from a groin injury and Frank dja Djedje made his first start for the club partnering Jason Cummings up front.
New signing Fraser Fyvie made his debut after signing from Wigan Athletic replacing Dylan McGeouch who suffered a minor knock in training but made the bench.
There was a familiar face for older fans in the west stand, as former striker Gary Murray took his seat to watch his son Simon turn our for Arbroath.
Hibs started brightly and almost took the lead in the 9th minute when Dja Djedje robbed Richard Little before sliding the ball across the face of the goal. Both Cummings and Fyvie missed the ball by inches.
Seven minutes later, Arbroath took the lead against the run of play  when Kieren Stewart cut in from the left and fired an unstoppable shot past Mark Oxley.
Hibs continued to dominate possession with Arbroath looking dangerous on the break.
In the 32nd minute Dja Djedje had the ball in the net but was harshly adjudged to have fouled the Marc McCallum in the build up, then Scott Allan hit the post with a superb 25 yard shot.
With half time approaching Hibs levelled when Allan slipped a fine through ball to Gray who cut the ball back into the path of Dja Djedje who side-footed the ball into the net.
In time added on, Hibs were denied a penalty when Dja Djedje appeared to have been brought down inside the box but referee Andrew Dallas waved away the appeals.
Liam Craig was replaced by McGeouch in the 59th minute and this move paid immediate dividends.  Scott Robertson found Stevenson and McGeouch overlapped allowing the full back to cut inside before slipping the ball to Cummings whose shot was deflected into the net.
Seven minutes later, Hibs made it 3-1 when McGeouch scored with a 20 yard strike after a neat one-two with Dja Djedje.
From then on it was all Hibs and Cummings could easily have scored another three in the last 10 minutes but in the end it was a comfortable win for Alan Stubbs’ men.
Hibs: Oxley, Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson, Craig, Allan, Fyvie, Dja Djedje, Cummings. Subs: Cerny, Forster, Stanton, Handling, Allan, McGeough, Martin.
Arbroath: McCallum, Rowan, Lindsay, Little, Gordon, Whatley, Carreiro, Hunter, McManus, Murray, Stewart. Subs: Wilson, Linn, Buchan, Lowdon, Smith, Johnstone.
Referee: Andrew Dallas
Attendance: 9,065
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: