Rangers End Hibs’ Eight Match Winning Run


Hibs’ eight match winning run came to an end with a 2-0 defeat to Rangers at Easter Road this afternoon.

Goals from Lee Wallace and Kenny Miller closed the gap to three points in the battle for second place in the Championship with the Glasgow side having a game in hand.

Head Coach Alan Stubbs made two changes to the starting XI that beat Cowdenbeath last Saturday with Paul Hanlon replacing Keith Watson whilst Dominique Malonga took over from the injured Jason Cummings.

Hibs started brightly and Liam Fontaine almost grabbed an early opener after a fantastic cross from Dylan McGeouch, but the big defender’s header went inches past the post.

Dean Shiels fired over the bar then Lewis Stevenson did well to prevent a Nicky Clark cross.

David Gray was shown a yellow card for bringing down Lee Wallace just outside the box but Nicky Law’s free kick flew well over the bar.

Just before the break, Rangers took the lead against the run of play when Bilel Moshni took a quick free kick which found Clark on the left wing. The youngster crossed the ball into the path of Darren McGregor but Stevenson managed to block his shot. The ball however fell into the path of Wallace who slammed it into the top corner of the net.

Keith Watson replaced the injured Gray at half time then Hanlon headed wide from a Scott Allan corner as Hibs pressed for an equaliser.

Rangers continued to look dangerous on the break and Moshni did well to find Kenny Miller who slid the ball into the path of Clark but some great defending from Hanlon kept the score at 1-0.

Moments later a mistake from Moshni gave Franck Dja Djedje an opportunity, but instead of shooting he elected to pass to Malonga and Lee McCulloch managed to clear the ball.

Watson and allan both had chances before Rangers wrapped things up in controversial circumstances.

Hanlon looked to have Miller’s cross covered before Wallace clearly fouled him as he went for the ball. Everyone waited for the whistle apart from Miller who pounced on the loose ball which he calmly slid into the net, sparking a furious reaction from the Hibs’ fans and players.

Hanlon was then booked for his protests as Rangers held on to secure a valuable three points.

Hibernian: Oxley, Gray (Watson 46’), Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, Robertson (Stanton 77’), Fyvie, McGeouch, Allan, Malonga, Dja Djedje (Boyle 68’). Substitutes not used: Perntreou, Forster, Craig, Handling.

Rangers: Bell, Moshni, Wallace, McCulloch, Law, Clark, Miller (Vuckic 83’) Shiels (Black 74’), McGregor, Zaliukas, Murdoch. Substitutes not used: Robinson, Hutton, Daly, Templeton, Sinnamon.

Referee: Willie Collum.

Attendance: 14,075.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: