Hibs Leapfrog Rangers With Dumbarton Win


Hibs returned to their winning ways with a hard fought 2-1 win over Dumbarton at the Bet Butler Stadium tonight.

Head Coach Alan Stubbs made four changes to the starting XI that lost to Queen of the South on Saturday, with Jordon Forster replacing the injured Keith Watson, skipper Liam Craig taking over from Fraser Fyvie, Martin Boyle replacing Sam Stanton and Farid El Alagui making his first start since returning from injury in place of Dominique Malonga who scored a hat trick the last time Hibs visited Dumbarton.

Hibs took a large travelling support to the Bet Butler Stadium for this all ticket game which kicked off in perfect conditions.

The visitors started brightly and had a penalty claim waved away in the 4th minute when Boyle was impeded in the box then Jason Cummings (pictured) shot wide of the post.

El Alagui went close with a header from a Stevenson cross before Scott Allan’s free kick went just over the bar.

Cummings had the ball in the net midway through the first half, but the ball had already gone out of play before his finish.

A sustained spell of pressure saw Hibs win three corners before Oxley had to produce a fine save to prevent Dumbarton taking the lead against the run of play.

In the 35th minute Hibs were awarded a penalty, after Chris Turner fouled Craig, but El Alagui’s effort was tipped onto the post and the ball trickled along the line before being cleared.

A few minutes later however Hibs took a deserved lead when Allan’s corner was headed into the net by Paul Hanlon to the delight and relief of the Hibs’ fans.

Fyvie replaced Scott Robertson at half time the Allan almost doubled Hibs’ lead direct from a corner but Rogers did well to make a save.

Ian Murray’s men then started to get a grip on the game and Allan cleared off the line before Mitchel Megginson pounced on a save by Oxley to slip the ball into the net in the 55th minute.

Three minutes later Dumbarton were reduced to ten men when Turner was sent off for violent conduct. Hibs took advantage of the extra man and regained the lead in the 66th minute when Allan’s cross was poked home by Cummings from inside the box.

Allan almost scored with a sensational 20 yard strike which flew inches over the bar then both El Alagui and Fyvie went close as Hibs looked to wrap things up. Allan then shot wide and Craig forced Rogers into a save.

Allan went close with a free kick after El Alagui was fouled but the ball hit the roof of the net.

Malonga replaced goalscorer Cummings in the 80th minute and the youngster left the field to a standing ovation from the visiting fans.

Hibs dominated the remainder of the game and Malonga hit the post in time added on as Stubbs’ men deservedly took the three points back to Easter Road.

The result sees Hibs return to second place in the Championship on goal difference.

Dumbarton: Rogers, Graham, Turner, Gilhaney, Agnew, Megginson, Taggart, Fleming, Fidlay, Campell, Wilson. Subs: Grindlay, Linton, Kirkpatrick, D McCallum, Easton, Petrie, Lightbody.

Hibs: Oxley, Forster, Hanlon, Fontaine, Boyle, Robertson, Allan, Craig, Stevenson, Cummings, El Alagui. Subs: Cerny, Stanton, Handling, Fyvie, Malonga, Djedje, Dunsmore

Photo by John Preece

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: